R&R: Relationship and Release

Listen to Pastor Paul's Sermons Online!

Monday, May 2, 2011

change

I'm not one of those preachers that drops emotional bombs at the close of a church service. I would rather the news filter thru individuals, so all of the air isn't sucked out of the sanctuary in one fell swoop. I wish there was an easy way to communicate this kind of news. I have been meeting with groups and individuals and had my ear surgically attached to a telephone, trying to share the news on a personal level. Please forgive me if you are seeing this news for the first time on my blog! It's very difficult to resign from a church that has been so loving, so kind, so extraordinary! I pray that there are no hard feelings because of our short stay.

The reasons for leaving are all very personal. First, Holly needs better medical care close by, as well as our future adoptees. When we brought Nathaniel home from Ethiopia to Oregon he spent over a week in intense care at a trusted hospital. You would never know it seeing that healthy boy now. Second, everything we study urges that Nathaniel will need more diversity as he grows older. We receive many intrusive questions and sometimes even glares here in the valley. Inside our beautiful church ya'll are so good to our little boy, but as he grows older he will realize how much he sticks out in Western Nebraska. Please don't misunderstand, I don't know it to be racism/prejudice, maybe it's simple ignorance. Third, we miss our families in the Northwest terribly. Holly's sister just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy that we haven't had the privilege of meeting. All of these reasons very much fit into God's divine order: a message I have preached several times since becoming your pastor. I believe my first ministry is my beautiful wife and son. The family needs to come before the church.

I am stepping out in faith (hopefully it's not stupidity). Trusting in the Lord with all my heart, leaning not on my own understanding, in all my ways acknowledging Him and He will direct every step. He truly is Jehovah Jireh, who will provide and lead us all where we belong. He has a plan for Cornerstone Fellowship. I'm so thankful we got to be a little part of it. I was sitting with Dwight, NE district superintendent, concerned over the transition. He comforted me by sharing that sometimes the Lord wills short stays for a reason in the life of a church, and encouraged how normal it is for a pastor in his early thirties to do a little exploring.

Please don't hesitate to talk with me about your feelings regarding this transition. There is no hidden agenda or unnamed conflict causing this change. I am so blessed by the genuine response of love we have received after the news is shared. Everyone is being so understanding. We have truly connected with so many of you. The tears shed, the heartfelt compliments will forever bless this pastor. I believe the Lord sent us here for this special time and for these special connections. There truly has been much fruit and growth from our sweet time here. In danger of sounding self-serving, may I request if in the last year and a half the Lord has specifically ministered to you in a special way thru our ministry, would you consider writing a letter of recommendation? The best way to get it to me would be by email: pastorpaulandholly@yahoo.com. The truth is, this special time with you has opened a new chapter in my personal walk with Jesus. He has spoken specific words to my heart to share with you; in tangible ways I haven't experienced before. Praise the Lord!

Thank you for the honor and privilege of being your pastor. Our final Sunday will be June 26, 2011. Now more than ever you need to join me on facebook so we can remain connected as Holly, Nathaniel and I return to the Northwest...

No comments:

Post a Comment