R&R: Relationship and Release

Listen to Pastor Paul's Sermons Online!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

churchy fluff

So, you may have noticed by now that I LOVE TO READ!
I have the horrible habit of jumping from book to book, but I do eventually finish one once in awhile...So, in theory I'm reading like 20 books at a time, yikes...
Anyway, in my bookbag at the moment, I have Jim Palmer's Divine Nobodies and Craig Groeshchel's Confessions of a Pastor. Not sure if this is a good combination...Because they both love to CHALLENGE the status quo...get the church out of "the box"! Even the book bylines say it all: Shedding Religion to Find God (Palmer) AND Craig's first chapter is entitled: I can't stand a lot of Christians...
I really am enjoying these reads, they are helping me wrestle with the churchy fluff that truly drives this pastor crazy!
Let me share what has challenged me so far, a quick excerpt from each book to wet my blog-readers appetite:
Palmer's 8th chapter (pride and prejudice, my gay friend Richard) is probably the most thought-provoking read on how Christians fail on the homosexual issue I have ever read!
Jim included in the chapter a letter Richard had written, these words BREAK MY HEART!
"I seek Jesus...falteringly. I seek real connection with others...falteringly. I will tell you it's the hardest thing I have ever had to do. In the process, I smoke too much, I eat too many cookies, and I watch too much Fear Factor. I've stopped going to church. I don't need another fluffy pep talk. Many times I simply can't bear the thought of pasting a phony Jesus grin on my face. I want something real. I need real people in my life. Where does a guy find people like that? I'm finding non-Christians are more honest with themselves and the struggles of life than Christians. I'm bitter and just can't take it anymore. My parents go to a church where the pastor insists women wear only skirts, no pants. Is that what Christianity is all about, skirts vs. pants?!"
Groesschel's first chapter reveals just how far the church has sometimes wandered from where it should be:
"One time I preached at a small country church. The volunteer receptionist told me we'd be having a guest that day. (Someone had called to find out what time the service started.) I was greeting people at the front door, and sure enough, I saw the first-time guest. She was easy to spot because her clothes were not 'church clothes.' This apparent single mom walked nervously toward the church, Bible in hand, obviously intimidated. Suddenly one of the deacons walked up to her and told her that her clothes were unacceptable for Sunday worship. Downcast, the woman left. Rejected...by the very people who claim to represent Christ!"

No comments:

Post a Comment